Saturday, August 1, 2009

Who else has been stereo-typed as "emo"?

I get called emo all the time, by this one chick in my class and even a couple of my friends. I know this sounds mean, but it's only good-natured teasing, but more so I just want to know why they call me this. Does anybody else have the same problem?



I have dark almost black hair, a deep side fringe, I wear skinny jeans a lot and my fave music is punk-rock. My fave bands are:



Fall Out Boy



My Chemical Romance



Hawthorne Heights



Taking Back Sunday



Lost Prophets



Panic! At The Disco



The Academy Is...



So tell me, do I sound emo to you?



Who else has been stereo-typed as "emo"?

None of those bands are punk.



Just letting you know.



Seeing as how I know what emo really is (I'm not ignorant, and I just happen to love real emo), no, you don't sound emo.



You sound exactly like every other teenager out there.



You all dress alike and listen to the same (untalented) bands.



Contrary to what the first poster said- you are not unique.



People like you are, and I quote a Taking Back Sunday song, "a dime a dozen."



Sorry kid.



Who else has been stereo-typed as "emo"?

You sound like an individual, unique person.



The "emo" label is just that: a label. It means nothing unless you place a value on it yourself.



Tell them that you have a name, and it isn't "Emo," and if they can't call you by name, then you won't bother listening to them.



Who else has been stereo-typed as "emo"?

Yeah but mainly by chavs who don't know what Emo is, i just had long hair and listened to metal. The only Emo thing about you is that you think those bands are punk (please listen to some sex pistols, clash and ramones)



Who else has been stereo-typed as "emo"?

Nyet! (Russian for "no".)



All those bands are commercial pop-punk (the so-called "emo" stuff being crapped around ) and not true punk rock (Ramones,Sex Pistols et. al.)...



...what hath Avril Lavigne wrought?



Who else has been stereo-typed as "emo"?

It sounds like you're trying not to know what "emo" means, but then you're listing all the things that makes someone stereotypically "emo".



No one can sound emo to me. No one can sound punk to me. They're all labels, and Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance aren't emo nor punk-rock.



You really just sound like a girl who has almost black hair with long side bangs, wear skinny jeans, and like those kinds of bands. People stereotype based on what they want or think they know in order to believe that they truly know someone...do you believe you can be more than what people think about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment